Friday 4 May 2007

To Kalbarri and Beyond!


We travelled from Perth up the west coast to Kalbarri - a mere 8 hour busride away! The bus is tiny, and we only had 12 people on it from Perth, plus our guide: Graeme. Very knowledgeable, a little on the mature side, and prone to listing as many facts as possible over the in-bus soundsystem... Ifelt like I was back on a school excursion for a moment! We stopped at the Pinnacles desert along the way - an odd bit of sand flat with a gazillion pointy rock formations sticking out of the ground. Some as tall as 4 metres...Yes, thanks to Graeme and the informational leaflet I actually read, I know how they were formed. No, I'm not telling! :P













On the way, I had a deja vu when we passed the following sign.. A freaky reminder of days gone by! Apologies for the low standard of photographic composition - I was frantiucally digging throiugh my bag (incidentally, why do I carry so much...stuff?) and just managed to get my camera pointing in the general direction of the sigbn as we were zooming past!

Final destination for the night was Kalbarri, which is on the edge of the Kalbarri National Park. A tiny town with very little to do other than hike, work, and eat fish! The less said about the hostel the better -- think matresses which are stragely reminiscent of kindergarten gym mats... plastic cover covered in a sheet makes for a slippery slumber! I'm assuming they may also have made acquaintance with travellers of Pinkelboy's ilk? Ick...

No comments: