Tuesday 15 September 2009

My new (humble) abode... complete with pets!

Welcome to my humble abode. Apartment 2002, room G. Since I arrived a week before the rest of the plebs, I made them give me a choice of rooms. In other words, I kicked up a fuss as soon as I saw room G and my - eeeeek - shared bathroom. This caused Joyce to call Amy over from the school building to show me the other available rooms. Room C was basically a coffin with an en-suite, no window = no natural light. Room E had just been vacated, had dirty towels and bedding strewn over the floor, a flooded (by overly hairy male) bathroom, and ciggy smell and left-over butts presumably thrown in gratis. Under the circumstances, G was looking better by the second! It's light, very large by comparison, has a window instead of a balcony, and no cigarette smell. I figure it's going to be freezing in about 6 weeks at most and I may be quite glad not to have a massive expanse of glass along one side of my room. There's no heating, just an air-conditioner that doubles as a heater... Yup, loving G more every minute. G is Grrrreat!


Unfortunately, G comes with a shared bathroom with F. The inhabitant of F is a lovely German girl called Eva. She too apparently has reservations about our bathroom and informed me that "the cleaning lady used it the other day and left something you shouldn't have to see... big business if you know my meaning". Niiiice. I found no presents this morning, but that's not saying much. I did, however, kill 2 of the inhabitants (not human) and had the quickest shower ever. I was trying to psych myself up to take a picture... Since then, the cleaners have been in and it looks...the same really. I'd also forgotten the requirement for Chinese plumbing to toss the loo-paper (used, naturellement) into the uncovered bin...in a bathroom with no window... Oh well, when in Rome.




The rest of the apartment consists of a large room that's sitting/kitchen/entry-hall in one. No windows, fab fluo lighting, a tv & DVD player, a washing machine, about 15 umbrellas and miscellaneous orphaned slippers, a microwave, a massive extractor fan above a single electrical hob unit, and just the one pot. I've found 5 pairs of scissors and not a single kitchen knife, which leads one to wonder... Good thing I don't enjoy cooking and I have restaurants all around. Now I just need to learn to read characters so I don't mistakenly order fried dog's bits and I'm sorted!!!







1 comment:

celine said...

HEllo marisa it's Celine, how are you since this long time - I followed your trip the last year but you stop writting news since march 2008 ! I am glad you continue ! You are lucky to be in China, I don't know this country ! Please give me some wews as you can.
Take care,
CĂ©line