Thursday 13 March 2008

Now you see it, Now you don't!

After a refreshing afternoon getting used to hopping in and out of the dinghies...ermmmm... Zodiacs (respect, please) we were treated to lunch and then promptly got mummied up EVEN MORE for a trip around Tucker Island.


Tucker Island is a wildlife preserve housing penguins, cormorants and possibly lots of other cute and nasty wildlife, but we don't know, because we can only circle it in the Zodiacs. Having taken the warning "you will freeze, wear lots" to heart, we all waddled aboard for our 40 minute exploration. I got a prime seat, NOT, right at the end - or start - of the boat next to the "Chauffeur". He's not a captain, so what do I call him? driver??? My position meant that, as everyone turned around to face the front of the boat and oohed and aaaahed over the cutesy little Penguins hobbling about on shore...then pushed even more to get in prime picture-taking position, I was persistently being edged backwards and thus off the boat. I managed to partly cling onto the very nice british woman in front of me, who seemed to sense my frantic struggles to hold on, and turned round to say "are you alright there, I am a bit worried about you". Worried or not, the rest of the passengers weren't going to give up even a millimeter of space and I spent most of this memorable excursion claw-like, hoping I'd make it back to the ship while still INside the Zodiac.


But fret not, mission accomplished and I managed to take some pictures while clinging on for dear life. After all, I know you all care ZIP for my safety, all you're interested in is results. And cute they are...




Back on dry deck, we lost all the padding (I WISH! Just the layers we added) and headed for the bar. Yes, even me. Since there's only 4 Zodiacs and 100 passengers, we were watching as the Spanish speakers went for their turn in the Zodiacs. So while they were getting wet - the waves had picked up a bit since our little excursion earlier - we spent the time in the bar watching seals frolic in the water beside the ship. When I say sealS, I mean I saw a seal on more than one occassion and cannot be certain if it was the same seal multiple times, or multiple seals separate times. Suffice it to say, I was SO excited to have spotted it, I spent a good hour with my nose plastered against the window and my camera at the ready. As luck would have it, every time my camera did "click!" it caught the slight disturbance of the water's surface left by the seal's quick dive. I ended up with over 30 pictures of water, sans seal. So I decided to just try to film it - and Eureka! In 30 odd seconds of filming, I caught its appearance twice (total visible duration approx 0.0002secs on film). the other passengers and barman really sympathised - mainly because I was so loud when I finally caught him on film and showed anyone that was interested! I guess the seal felt sorry for me, and as I was about to give up, it jumped out of the water just as the Zodiacs with Spanish Speakers returned. A spectacular leap which I finally caught on memory card!!!

We set off as everyone went for a nap / shower / triple whisky straight-up before dinner. Just as we're getting used to being just the 3 of us at a table for 8 - and having fun playing musical chairs and confusing Ramon the waiter, the table next to us take pity and decide that they will adopt us from the next meal forward. After lots of discussing between waiters, head waiters, more uniforms and guests - AND an explanation to those that were unaware, that the tables are indeed bolted to the floor and cannot be moved, so 11 must squeeze onto a round table meant for 8 - it is decided that we will forgo cutlery by the side of the plate so we can fit in 11 plates. Sensible solution...

It is at this point that I claim a momentary lapse in sanity. Whether due to Ramon's swarthy good looks, the impending table-crush at breakfast, or just plain exhaustion from so much wildlife excitement in one day... whatever it was, it affected my judgment. The 2 entertainment reps / expedition leaders trap us at the table just as we are about to leave after dinner, asking for models for the International Catwalk to show Australis garb. I quickly volunteer Roger, and his name is promptly noted on an EMPTY piece of paper. Hmmm. I then inquire how many other models they have lined up. I don't think I ever got an answer, but somehow I agree to join in the farce and be a model. As we say in Dutch "samen uit, samen thuis" (out together, at home together? Sort of - stick together, wherever). I get to model the itchiest, most horrible scarf known to man. Apparently that's just my opinion, because on my way upstairs to the main deck and the awaiting audience, a woman comments "what a lovely scarf, is that one they sell here?" My brother, on the other hand, doesn't get off so easily. He gets to model a sweater, a Captain's hat, and a coat. He pulls it off with aplomb and is the star of the show. Out of the 3 models (including my brother and me), he was without a doubt the SUPERmodel. No great piccies, because my mum had obviously been at the wine and Pisco Sour!


The evening was capped off with a forgettable round of Bingo (I won nothing,
even in the "last person standing without a number called" round... I lost THAT one by suddenly going on a winning streak. The Brazilians cleaned up - they won ALL the prizes! Although, given that Mathias and Patrizio (the entertainment / expedition guides) made constant jokes about being completely open to bribes, I personally suspect foul play. That penguin keychain should have been MINE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought a preserve was a kind of jam/marmalade thing but hey, but hey, maybe you tried something on the buffet lunch that I didn't dare to touch. :)

Roger