Monday 30 July 2007

Guangzhou: Thanks Simon!

I decided I had to dedicate on blog entry just to Simon. He's living the dream (ahem), muddling through daily life as an expat GM in China. Unfortunately I didn't get to meet his family who'd fled the heat to go stay in the Netherlands for a while. Can't say I blame them!

The last time I met him, I was 14 and he was 22 and an intern for my dad in Vienna. How things change! Now managing one of the largest LPG companies in China, it's great to see a compatriate making it work here. I spent 3 days in the lap of absolute luxury being chauffeured about and shown every place of possible interest in Guangzhou. Of course it completely RUINED me for the rest of my trip... I'm sure I can't continue in the standard to which I have now become accustomed!



I extended my stay by 2 days only to be informed halfway through my extension that my rate had been changed to 40% higher as my former promotional rate was no longer available. Perhaps a bit late to be telling me this when its already 5pm the next day? Simon's pitbull of a secretary - Ally - agreed and thanks to her amazing negotiating, and some great strategizing between us, they not only retracted this change, but also send the assistant sales manager to schmooze me with a free drink at their cafe and unruffle my extremely ruffled feathers with some helpful suggestions for sightseeing in Shanghai! To top it off, they threw in a free lunch for 2 in their brand-new Italian restaurant on the 41st floor... as seen in the pictures above. Who else could I invite but Simon! We had a sumptuous lunch of REAL Italian lasagna (even-if-it-was-served-lukewarm-and-we-had-to-ask-them-to-nuke-it-after-which-it-came-back-nuclear-hot-presumably-to-prove-a-point-to-the-rude-foreigners-that-dared-to-question-the-chef's-boundless-wisdom!) followed by the deserts in the picture. I officially adore Guangzhou! Thanks Simon!

No comments: