Saturday 7 July 2007

Guilin to Yangshuo, the Li River Cruise

Today we took a river cruise down the Li River from Guilin to Yangshuo. The scenery features on the 20 RMB banknote, in movies, and tourism brochures worldwide. It's one of the top 5 things-to-see in China according to my 2.5kg guidebook... and I must admit, it's pretty spectacular. It really IS as pretty as in the pictures, which is good because words cannot truly describe the splendour!




There were about 10 boats and they all took off in a line, although only a few boats carried foreigners. As we floated past craggy cliffs, rolling green hills, water-buffalo, cormorants, fishermen on bamboo rafts and kids playing in the water - I proceeded to get a pretty good sunburn! But it was well worth it - I stayed on the top deck to watch the amazing scenery and have about 200 pictures to show for it (see my facebook albums if you think you're up to the challenge!)




We had a buffet lunch, which was served on board and was cooked in a kitchen located on the lowest deck at the back of the boat. I avoided the mystery meat, but accepted the challenge to eat a local delicacy... fried whole tiny fish... although I didn't eat the head! Instead, I took a picture as proof (AND in case I started feeling queasy later and the doctors had to know what caused it!)




And as a finale, some more of my favourite shots! there are so many...



No comments: