Thursday 12 April 2007

Mistrust is good, scepticism rules - avoid the SUPERFREAK!

Today I am lucky. Not because I survived the Neighbours tour, but because I am alive after my mystery date.

Anyway, Neighbours tour first :) For all those only interested in my embarrassments (SHAME ON YOU!!!), skip this and move onto ***SUPERFREAK***.

The Neighbours tour featured:
- lots of driving in a mini bus showing old episodes of weddings, deaths and births...
- 20 minutes in front of a school and pictures of the gate with a sign saying "Erinsborough High"
- hordes of REAL fans staring enraptured at... not so great houses on a Melbourne cul-de-sac squealing eagerly when the guide brings out a fake street sign saying "Ramsay Street"
- Meeting Janelle, again, and blurting out when questioned by the aforementioned star about various actors on the soap and characters being named Marisa that "I don't watch Neighbours, they made me when I first moved to England as a kid... I had to avoid mass bullying" :P another Marisa Classic.



We didn't get to see the studio, or any of the sets, we didn't meet any other actors and spent the majority of the time on the tourbus with an admittedly very enthusiastic guide. It might be worth it if you actually watch the soap and know what the hell everyone's on about when they say Toadie drove Dione off a cliff and is now getting together with the oldest Scully daughter (ran out of memory for random names). Oh, and Connor and Michelle Scully are dating in real life...


***SUPERFREAK***

oh. my. god.
For all those of you who have told me in the (recent) past:
- "say yes, don't react negatively,don't be so harsh"
- "put it about a bit"
- "you never know, give it a chance...where is the harm in just going on a date?"

I hold you accountable for my momentary lapse in general mistrust of the human race, not listening to my freak-radar, and in particular abandoning my usual skepticism towards anything that looks too good to be true. I gave my number to a complete (goodlooking) stranger - to an overwhelmingly enthusiastic response from friends and family it seems - and not one of you even QUESTIONED if this was sane except myself! This should teach me to trust my instincts.

I tried to talk myself out of it, but Kelly (un)fortunately convinced me I was being stupid. I begged Kelly to walk with me to meet him. AND I was adamant that she take his number, description, and keep her phone at the ready.

All signs. Massive, humongous, bleeping, FLUORESCENT signs. Female instinct and intuition ignored at my own peril.

It all seemed innocuous enough and started off smashing with him complimenting me. :) We went for a walk to the botanical gardens as he was a keen gardener... I kept thinking something is off-kilter. Why else would I say I "have a bullshit-o-meter" and that I know TaeKwonDo??? Then he tells me "you're really jovial and humorous, I don't want you to think I don't appreciate it just because I don't have a sense of humour myself". Huh? No sense of humour? Uh-oh, Strike 1! (2 and 3, but hey, been told I need to give guys a chance, so I'm sticking with it).

After that I did a little more questioning (police-style, not letting him change the subject anymore) it turns out he loves gardening, at his MOTHER's house, WHERE HE STILL LIVES, at the AGE OF 37?! Strike 2!

Half an hour later, I am heartily sick of hearing about Ferns (green leafy plants). It's ferns this and ferns that, tallest fern, greenest fern, Queensland native fern, New Zealand ferns, touch the fern, stand under the fern, push the fern over... I get it, you like ferns. Can we move on? (preferably back to the city or somewhere I recognise and can call for help) Apparently not. He then comes up with classic freak-me-out-lines such as "I probably like ferns a whole lot more than I am letting on" (Nope, I'm pretty clear on that one!) and "I'm sentimental about them", "I identify with ferns, they're misunderstood". ARGHHHHHHHHHH. Strike 3!

RUN FOREST, RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

He goes off to a restroom and I'm seriously contemplating doing a runner. But I'm not sure where to go or if he'll give chase. So I SMS Kelly to let her know where I am and that I'm coming to meet her. I texted this morning that I was going to be back late from a tour, thanks for the walk, a pity we have nothing in common, and basically have a nice life. ( I don't want a stalker).

Another FIRST, another one not to be repeated. Although I have to admit its a toss-up between Superfreak and Pinkelboy on my least favourite firsts... Superfreak might even win this one! I will thus remain single for the rest of my days. I will be available for babysitting duties until I'm about 80 and if anyone has any cats that I can adopt, or needs some knitting done, let me know!

We went to see Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake in the evening so the day wasn't a complete loss!

3 comments:

Thijn said...

Oh My God! what a story - I think all of us were hoping for something... Hmm we do not know what, but I surely wasn't prepared for THIS!
Sorry I'll warn you better next time.
Bartel (who sits now besides me on the couch - like waldorf and stanford) says "but Marisa is such a nice girl! - surely there must be a bear socks wearing guy for her too! (read When I met bartel he was wearing them but he also had a "dude" haircut).
So keep on traveling (this in not a trip to romance!)
Big hugs - cheers
Yvi & bartel

Anonymous said...

So glad to know you were able to escape in one piece! Though I must confess, it is fun to read about your encounter to freaks...

Anonymous said...

Hoi Marisa,
Aan de ene kant denk ik; kijk uit met vreemden, nooit alleen gaan, enz enz. Maar ja aan de andere kant leer je dan ook nooit iemand kennen en als je alleen reist kom je constant vreemde mensen tegen.

Gelukkig het allemaal goed afgelopen, hoewel ik het uiteraard heel veel leuker had gevonden als deze man niet alleen erg knap was maar ook nog eens erg aardig en leuk. Jouw tijd komt nog wel!!

Gewoon goed naar jezelf blijven luisteren hoor!

liefs,
Kim