Friday 20 April 2007

Road Trip!!! Part 1: Perth - Margaret River


Today we set off on our ROADTRIP down south. We rented Betsy (Nissan X-Trail) from Avis, simply because if/when I get stuck in the middle of nowhere, I want someone to answer the phone and come get me! :) The "travellers' autobarn" sounded far too dodgy, neither Kelly nor I is in any way, shape, or form interested in camping/campervans/tents/roughing it, and a 4x4 will take us anywhere, anytime! Assuming we don't forget to get petrol...


We've decided to split the trip into nice manageable chunks (4-8 hours drive) and have an extra day in most places so we're not just driving in, sleeping, and driving out a-la-Kiwi Experience! So being the resourceful and organised person that I am, I stole a couple of brochures from tour operators and started to list all the sights they go to so we could simply follow their plan minus the octegenarians and forced sourvenir stops. Some of the stops were amazing... some quite clearly only made the itinerary as convenient loo-breaks!







We drove south through Freemantle and onto Busselton for the (in)famous Busselton Jetty. It's basically a wooden pier into the sea with a cafe next to it. Hence the poseur pic with coffee. I love the picture on the left where I caught the seagull midflight...only to cut off its beak!



Margaret River was our first overnight stop. The hostel was very basic, but since I was tired I didn't much care and went to bed early. Kelly came screeching into the room an hour later - she'd been in the TV lounge with some of the other guests when a RAT decided to join them. Nice... I bet you're all a little less envious of my "wonderful adventure" now, eh?!





The next day we explored Margaret River (picture of the surf above, and me posing in my "sunhat" on the right). The weather seems to be timed perfectly for our trip - whenever we're in the car, we get blazing sunshine and blue skies... whenever we attempt to actually stop on a beach and catch a tan, the wind picks up, it starts pouring down and generally becomes less enjoyable. Hence the persistently white bod. :(



After watching the surfers for a bit, we decided to make the best of a windy day and venture further south to Augusta and Cape Leeuwin National Park. The lighthouse at Cape Leeuwin marks the most south-western point of WA... which is a nice follow-up to my lighthouse visit at Byron Bay 6 years ago which was the most Easterly point! Spot me skipping around in front of the lighthouse on the left! It's also the point where the Indian Ocean and the Southern Ocean meet... though try as I might all I could see was one giant mass of blue water with big waves!



No comments: