Friday 18 May 2007

Camping, Moi??? You've got to be...oh ok.

So... when I booked this trip, I was aware that the accommodations would be... somewhat basic. I was prepared for large dorms, snoring, sharing bathroom facilities, a general lack of privacy and comfort, and possibly the odd cockroach or two. However, a rickety tent in the middle of nowhere that looked about to collapse... that was not in my imagination. Cool! Another "first" !
Meet our home for the night in the Karijini National Park (it lies
inland, near the mining town of Tom Price and is run by Aboriginals). It is about the only place to spend the night in the vicinity of the gorges. Cooking in the open was an experience, eating even more so. Think: one bite for me, one bite for the mozzies. The insect repellant only seemed to antagonise them even more! Showers and toilets were a 5 minute walk down pitch-black paths and came with their own little residents. It would have been an excellent adventure if it hadn't been for the cold. After weeks of warm weather and even warmer nights, I was cold despite my:
- 2 blankets
- 2 sheets
- New Zealand ski jacket
- jumper
- t-shirt
- pyjamas
- sports socks
- AND beach towel on top!

We got up early to beat the crowds - 3 tour groups, total 50+ people, 2 showers??? you're having a laugh! Well, I had the last laugh because I asked a "rival" group when they were getting up and then set my alarm 15 minutes earlier. :P My dad would've been so proud!


Unfortunately, above are my best pictures of the "hike" - I made it as far as the look-out before I had to practically crawl back to the bus. Camping beds do not agree with my back and I feel really, really, really OLD! Kelly just didn't want to go and we had another invalid on the bus - so we held down the fort while the rest went exploring.


I was on a roll, so I decided to get in another first that day... a blown tire in the middle of nowhere. OK, so I didn't actually have anything to do with it, but I just wanted to mention it! Our driver for this section was absolutely great and managed to get us back on the road again despite a failing jack and other problems. He basically climbed underneath the bus while the group (minus moi & my back) lifted the bus up!


Last overnight stop after another 8 hour bus trip where everyone proceeded to get completely sloshed (did I mention the stop at Liquorland?) was at Pardoo Cattle station - again in the middle of nowhere - which was a veritable RESORT compared to the campsite after I caught and expelled the largest of the resident beasties!

No comments: