Friday 4 May 2007

Kalbarri to Denham - and the oldest living organisms in the world...(hint: stromatolites)

The next day we got up at 6am (6 AM!!!!) for an early drive into Kalbarri National Park where we hiked to Z-bend gorge.



_______________________WARNING: Start of anti-fly-rant_________________________


It would all be so much more enjoyable if it weren't for the FECKING FLIES. Excuse my language, but they're EVERYWHERE. Just to illustrate, we took a picture of Russel's back - only 5 minutes after getting off the bus, when the majority of the flies in the vicinity hadn't yet realised there was fresh meat to be landed on. I spent most of my morning trying to climb down a ravine, half-blinded by flies, while waving my hands in front of my face in the traditional Aussie salute (fly swat). I don't mind them being around, I just don't want them ALL on me ALL the time. Especially if they try to climb up my nose, into my ear, or go for a ride up and down on my eyelashes. Ick. *breathe*


________________________WARNING: End of anti-fly-rant_________________________


So, getting back to the more amazing news...Yes, I climbed down into the gorge AND back up. (The guide refused to carry me) I did actually stop at a point just 5 minutes before the end because the rocks were covered in sand and my predecessors had precariously slithered over them to reach the second ladder and the one in front of me nearly didn't make the ladder. I figures, old and feeble as I am, that this was a risk best left to the young 'uns and I took up a "monitoring" position on the largest boulder from where I could oversee the action. Hey, at least I did it - 3 people had gone to the lookout and promptly returned to the bus! (and they were all younger and fitter than me, so there). I elected to sit on the mahoosive rock and just take action-shots with the guide. Luckily for me, the people who did go all the way told me it wasn't worth it! result!



Next stop was Nature's window in the Loop Gorge - another 30 minute stroll/hike to a rock formation that provides a view that's like... wait for it... looking through a window! Actually, it was pretty cewl. Since I wanted pictures without tourists in them, I took off at a trot and left the rest behind me. The wondrous results are showcased below! Maybe a miscalculation though, since I then had to wait for everyone to catch up before I could get a shot with me actually IN the photo. :)





This was followed by another 6 hours of quality bus time en-route to the next stop, the Stromatolites. Just an observation: It's amazing how much one can look forward to the promise of a visit to a roadhouse in the middle of nowhere if it means getting off the bus for just 20 minutes! Anyway, Stromatolites. Apparently the oldest living organism int he world, only occur in this one spot, are like little towers of live rock that grow in the sea, not much more is known about them because they haven't bothered to research them since they first found them early 1960's. That's the edited (SUCCINCT) version of the story. Fascinating, I know. But it let us get out of the bus to stretch our legs, so as far as I was concerned the Stromatolites were REALLY interesting!

The final stop for the day before we reached Denham and our hostel (avec kitchenette and swimmingpool, 20 metres walk from the beach, but I digress...) was at Ocean Park. Its a local aquarium of sorts showcasing local ocean-wildlife. Stone fish, spiked fish, green fish, yellow fish, watersnakes, stingrays, other rays, small sharks, big sharks, flat sharks, round sharks (hey, I'm only a human-on-holiday and can't possibly remember all the weird and exotic names... which is one thing I'd come to regret later in Coral Bay..., but I digress). The turtle we saw was definitely a natural poser...





A great day was had by all, finished with a feeding of the sharks while we stood on the bridge above the tank... Of course, Ed, the 33 year old blond owner might also have been part of the reason why we all (females mainly) enjoyed the outing so much. But I would never admit to something quite so superficial, now would I ? ;-)

No comments: