Tuesday 8 May 2007

Monkey Mia - feeding Dolphins on the beach!

My next stop is Monkey Mia - a place with no USB ports and crappy Internet - but also the place of dolphins-feeding on the beach, pelicans galore, wide sandy beaches and possibly one of the nicest hostels so far! Yeah! Clean (a definite plus), set right on the edge of the beach, with a fan in the room if no aircon, and dryers for our washing, its a veritable oasis. And like an oasis, its surrounded by absolute nothingness. Bliss for a few days of working on the as yet non-existent tan!








Monkey Mia has had a dolphin feeding programme for over 30 years, and some of the dolphins that still come up to the beach are from the very first group that was approached all those years ago. See! I DID pay attention to the guide during the feeding while taking all those cutesy-wutesy-dinky pictures!




The dolphins come up to the beach to be fed up to 3 times a day - while we were there it started at 07:30 and they completed the third feeding by 09:30am. They only get a few fish so they still need to go hunt for the remainder of their daily requirement - but hey, a free fish is a free fish, right?! (un)Fortunately I wasn't one of the people picked to feed the dolphins, but that's ok because:


a) I didn't want to touch the fish


b) I didn't want to put my ankles anywhere near the dolphins' teeth


c) I realise that my "cute" years are far behind me, bribes make the world go round, and life is all downhill from here...

Look, after all the cuteness of the dolphins, the blazing sunshine, the wide open sandy beach, the idyllic weather, the flowers on the verandah, I needed to counter-balance all that positivity with some depressing reality. But let's not harp on it and move on to the amazing pelicans!



Sacriligious though it may be, I actually liked the pelicans better than the dolphins! Shhhhhhh.... don't tell anyone, but I actually took more pictures of the pelicans than of the dolphins. :)

No comments: