Tuesday 5 June 2007

Bali: Do as I say, don't do as I do!

Marisa does Bali - or rather - Bali does in Marisa. Despite a few mishaps (like being in a wheelchair for the first few days) this was an excellent break from my break! One place for 10 days, clean bathroom that I have sole rights to mess up, free toiletries (that I don’t use, but it’s the principle), and a turndown service for when you just don’t have the power to undo the bed cover’s super-crisp hospital corners on your own…

Of course, having V here for a week to bring back some sanity (regular working doc’s life experiences) into my otherwise insanely lazy and surreal unemployed travel life is a definite highlight!


Bali is heaven - especially if you're ensconced in the Westin Resort Nusa Dua for 10 days! I was picked up in style by a private car from the Westin and rode in airconditioned comfort to the hotel where I was greeted with a cold hand towel, a complimentary drink on the sofa while someone brought the check-in forms to me, and the LONGEST check-in process ever... Luxury cannot be hurried...




Above are some pictures I did manage to take (beach chairs, the bay at low tide, private massage huts by the beach where we had a 1 hour Balinese massage on the second day) - funny how I completely forgot to take pictures as soon as Kelly wasn't there to remind me! AND I have virtually NONE with people in them!!! :(


Now comes the don't do as I do part. Unfortunately, this was all too good to be true, I arrived without mishap and the next day Vanessa also turned up as scheduled to begin a week of girls-only wild and wacky fun... but fate had other plans. After spending an hour getting all dolled up to go out for our first meal (complete with slippery high heels), I decided to use the - possibly wet - marble hallway from our room to the lobby as a slide and went flying, painfully spraining my ankle. :( Luckily Vanessa was there with me and she is a) a doctor, and b) my best friend - so while she knew my condition was indeed painful but essentially not fatal, she still humooured me in my cries of pain and woe. I ended up in a wheelchair for 2 days. Of course I planned all of this just to have an excuse to laze by the pool!!!


HOWEVER, I did manage to get in a few FIRSTS in:
1) Used the Westin hallway as a slip 'n slide!
2) Cruised through the lobby in a wheelchair
3) Balinese Massage by the beach
4) Fruit carving (see below Watermelon I contributed to -- the clunky bits are by my hand)
5) Coconut leaf creations (see pics with the 7 different creations I learned!!! A new calling?)
6) Aquasize class (I am becoming my mother...)
7) Had a cocktail delived by the pool without straying one iota from my sunlounger (sorry Sally - no picture! I forgot, but I did toast in your honour!)
8) First-ever wrap, scrub & flower bath (and the last... just not my thanggg)
9) 22 million Rupiah hotel bill... a first, a last, a never again on my credit card? :P

10) I didn't buy any souvenirs (perhaps good considering point 9...)




I decided not to explore Bali too much and thus risk having a boring time on my NEXT trip here... :) Bali is nice & small, very interesting, but there's not THAT much to do. So it is easily explored on a short holiday if & when I'm ever back in a regular job again. Besides, I'm about to head for temple overload in Thailand and China! We did visit a wood carving factory and the main stone-carving street of Bali... because Vanessa needed to confirm previous buys with the manufacturers. :) We also went sea kayaking with the heaviest wooden oars I've ever seen. All interesting, but it's incredibly hot and humid and thus energy sapping during the day. Phwoar! Maybe I should be in sales since I seem to be good at convoluted arguments! Besides, getting a tan was a higher priority and a goal I definitely achieved!

And for those of you waiting for humiliating, painful, embarrassing, hilarious stories:

Funny episode 1:
I went to the concierge to ask for a bathroom scale for the room (it said in the guest services manual that one could request it)...they got one out in the lobby, tested it "en plein publique" and then handed it over. I thought it was hilarious and was quite happy to just march it to my room, crossing the lobby and encountering who-knows-who on the way, but Vanessa was deathly embarrassed and actually made me put it in a plastic bag! :P heheheheh I guess I've become a lot less uptight since the start of my travels!

Funny episode 2:
I had a "marine ritual" at the spa. 2.5 hours of massage, slathering of creams, bodyscrub, flower bath and a wrap with funky smelling seaweed mud before being wrapped in cellophane. Despite telling the masseuse several times not to scrub my shoulder due to sunburn - she still gave it a good go with the sea salt. AARGHHHHHHH. Each time I screamed, she said "sorry", went to another body part, before returning to scrub some more sunburned flesh. So I just grin and bore it after a while - let her get it done so I didn't have to put up with the pain anymore! I am never going through the whole thing again... being made to wear disposable paper panties while someone manhandles you for 2.5hrs is not my idea of fun! On the upside, I am verrrry smooth. :)

No comments: