Tuesday 12 June 2007

Singapore: the best bits!!!!

I didn't quite get round to a few things on my list:

1) the Orchid section of the Botanic Garden (54 hectares in 32C heat, I wonder why I didn't make it...)

2) the Butterfly Park (too far, too little time, too lazy)

3) the Jurong Bird Park (I'm saving this for my next visit!)

4) Underwaterworld on Sentosa Island (once you've gone swimming with whale sharks, everything else aquatic just seems too tame)

However, I feel I now need to add a 16th MUST DO in Singapore to my list, one which I most definitely accomplished. Hark! The Floss Bun!


I love trying stuff I’ve never seen before (and likely won't see again) and either being pleasantly surprised or put off for life (pretty much everything made of green dough). I could compose an ode to the "Floss Bun" as sold in Bread Talk bakeries, but I wouldn’t want people to think I’m weird... :P For those of you that have not had the privilege: it’s a sweet doughy, moist flat bun with some sort of creamy, jammy, eggy slop on top, then sprinkled with a satey-ey, cotton candy like pork flavoured “floss”. I know, sounds delish the way I describe, doesn't it? Luckily I only discovered it on my penultimate day here, so the damage I can do to my digestive tract is limited!

I spent my last day in Singapore with the ones I love - my ex colleagues in Singapore! They a really nice group of people, they let me prattle on and on and on and on (you ge tthe drift), and were extremely patient with my less than pretty lunch manners. I obviously need lots more chopstick-practice before I even think of venturing into China. Actually - they had to work, so I only spent their lunchbreak with them, but quality time nonetheless! Unfortunately, Since Kelly is no longer my travel buddy, there's no one to remind me to take pictures of people...


My last afternoon was all about Sentosa Island. After putting it off for an entire week - it's not airconditioned!!! - I finally realised it could be put off no longer. And it's a good thing I did! Its a brautiful island, this one's DEFINITELY Disney inspired. Little trams, a monorail, exhorbitantly expensive retail outlets and queues to get in/on/out of anything and anywhere. Fun, fun, fun! Actually, cool thing is that it has a spot which is the southern most point of continental Asia... so hey! Add that to the list of most western, southern, eastern etc bits of countries and continents so far! Sentosa cannot be described, it must be seen to be believed...so here are some of the best (pink-tinged) pics!

No comments: