Thursday 14 June 2007

I'm melting...MEEEEELTING!

I thought Singapore was hot and humid, but that was before I arrived in Bangkok. Sticky doesn't even begin to describe it - why call them clothes when it's really all clingfilm anyway?! (that's Seran Wrap for those of the US persuasion...) I swear I'm sweating in places I never imagined, and I'm sure no one's interested in the details. Just wanted to make absolutely sure I got the point accross of just how HOT it is here (average 36C with 95 percent humidity). I was DEFINITELY made for snow.


Anyway, YEAH! Arrived in Bangkok - woo hoo. I have a nice hotel, got some excellent advice from my brilliant friend Siratas. Decided against hostel life because the hotel was so cheap! Hey, I love my luxury... The hotel is also directly linked on the second floor to the sky train (Bangkok's airconditioned - bless them - monorail system). Incredibly cheap - 15 Baht to go one stop and less for each additional section. With an exchange rate of 1 Pound to 65 Baht, I'm laughing all the way to the airconditioned mall, cineplex and supermarket!

I went to see Ocean's 13 with Siratas - it cost less than 3 pounds to see the movie (we went to the most expensive mall...) and I paid at least 90p for our popcorn... I wonder if I'll have a heart attack when I get back to the UK? Maybe I'll start making my own to sneak into the cinema... OK movie, better than Superman 3 in any case ( I know, I know, why did I pay to see that??? Why???? 2+ hours of my life that I will never get back!)

The unfortunate side-effect of all that wonderful airconditioning is a cold that I somehow picked up (not-pointing-any-fingers-at-best-friends-who-came-to-visit-in-Bali-and-were-suffering-from-severe-flu-like-symptoms-for-4-days). So hardly any pictures yet! My hotel is nice, but no hotel is nice enough to want to spend 2 days in bed coughing, spluttering and ordering room service, while watching Asian MTV and BBC World... I don't even have the option of alternating between CNN and BBC World... who by the way should really look at how often they repeat their programs... :)

I've booked a few tours for the next few days, so should be interesting to see how resilient I am in this climate... stay tuned to this blog for more action-packed adventures! *cough* *cough* :)

No comments: