Friday 8 June 2007

Singapore: Rebel Without A Chew

Once again, true colours will out - my REAL criminal self surfaces. In trouble with the law again, a fugitive, a criminal, a rebel without a chew! I unwittingly imported chewing gum into the country and proceeded to mash it while walking the Esplanade to Merlion Park with Vega from the Singapore Belkin office, Moreover, I “dealt” in the illegal substance and dragged Vega down into the chewy criminal way of life. I didn’t know! (That's me posing mid-chew by the way) Some people tell me its illegal, others (this is the story I’m going with if I get caught) tell me its ok as long as its for personal consumption only. Of course it is! I can’t help it that the idea of chewing gum made Vega rabid with wanting - to such an extent that she THREATENED me with extreme physical pain unless I handed over my stash! And if that fails, there’s always the Dutch Defence: Ehhhh, mie no speeking dah Ingleesh? :)


Anyway - I arrived without incident (save for the minor stomach bug I appear to have picked up somewhere between lunch at the Westin and arrival in Singapore… I’m not pointing fingers, but… avoid the club Sandwich at the Westin Resort Nusa Dua if you value your digestive system). My “hotel” is centrally located, that’s about it. Of course, coming from 5* luxury all but a palace would disappoint, but the YMCA International House is more a hostel than a hotel. Unlike its counterpart in Hong Kong - its neither clean nor recently refurbished. But, it has a bed (2 actually), a private bathroom, a little fridge and a view of the Singapore Museum! And very thin walls, so for the first 2 nights it was like being back home in Northampton… amorous couples across the world: unite! Yay. :( It also has breakfast included, but after a brief foray into the restaurant to check out the spread and nearly gagging on the spot due to the smell… I decided that was one “freebie” I could happily live without!


Luckily Vega (from Belkin Singapore) gave me lots of tips on what to do and where to go and Vanessa also gave a list of places to see. Who needs a city guide when you’ve got friends in the Know?!


My first day was spent chasing down the elusive HSBC card - with much success at last! Then I spent some quality time getting lost in Suntec City Mall - very spread out and slightly convoluted signage (but with lots of restrooms… a definite plus thanks to the Club Sandwich Experience). I successfully wasted a couple of hours without parting with any cash (despite the Great Singapore Sale now on with up to 70% off ! Come visit Singapore! Ahem) before visiting Vega at the Belkin office and taking a walk along the Esplanade with infamous results.

Speaking of which - we saw the “Merlion”, Singapore’s self-proclaimed ‘symbol for tourists’. Half lion (the top), half mermaid (bottom), hence Mer-lion. I suppose it sounds better than Lionmaid?! Wondering if its therefore actually half Merman (as with Lion / tiger cross breeding where its either a Liger = Lion father, or a Tigon = tiger father). Any ideas, feel free to contribute a comment to my ramblings…


Internet access is good here, but I might just be too busy to sit down and write it all! Right now I have 5 days and 15 things on my “short list” of things to do.