Sunday 18 February 2007

Floatplanes ROCK!

Today I did a float-plane flight over lake Taupo, Mount Tongariro (aka Mt Doom in Lord of the Rings), Mount Ruapehu (highest volcano in NZ) and another one I've forgotten the name of. I'm so incredibly bad at the names here! If something starts with WH is pronounced FFFF... so WHAKAPAPA... :/ Been to Waitangi, which is completely different from Whitianga and going to Te Kaha tomorrow, not to be confused with Te Anau in the South. Fish is pronounced "Fuhsh" and there's a Maori name and explanation to everything. The "Back to School" feeling gets a little overwhelming at times, but HOW COOL IS THIS?!?!?!?! :P Awesome, I reckon! (trying to get the lingo while I'm here).

But I digress, back to the float-plane flight! Basically, it means a plane that takes off and lands on water - in this case lake Taupo. I got the choice seat next to the pilot... so I could take a close-up pic of the Fuel Gage nearing "E" ! Apparently the gage was broken.... hmmmm.

The views were amazing. I saw the Tongariro Crossing ( the free trip everyone else takes, meaning a 7 hour hike up rocky hills and down steep inclines). I'm glad I took a small plane though because:

- 1 saw all 3 volcanoes

- I got to sit in the cockpit of a neat little plane

- I've got unrivalled photos and video

- I didn't spend 7 hours slogging through inhospitable terrain to still see nada and break my thumb (yes, several injuries in the party that went from my bus)


I think that comes under "smart decision". :) I've now posted images - even though photos are never as good as the real thing.

Almost the greatest thing of the trip is meeting different people - met an Irish girl who went surfing with me, met an Argentinian girl who went on a hike, met a German girl that used to make cigarrettes for a living and just had dinner on my own only to be joined by a Kiwi couple wanting to know where my accent is from! :) Everyone's really friendly (apart from the English teenage girlies whose sole purpose for being here is to shag the busdriver... how they will look back and cringe...especially since the topless photos they pose for are proudly displayed in the Irish pub for all to see).

Marisa over and out - will be travelling to the remote East Cape and staying in bunk-houses on family farms for the next 3 days. I can't wait... for the Marriott at the other end of the NZ rainbow! :) hahahahahahaha

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wauw Marisa, wat een gave dingen ben je allemaal aan het doen! De verhalen die je schrijft zijn ontzettend leuk om te lezen, zo te zien vermaak je je enorm. Oke, de ene keer wat meer dan de andere keer :) maar ja dat heb je altijd. Als je de ene activiteit bijna niet overleefd dan waardeer je volgende des te meer :))

Heel veel plezier, ben erg benieuwd wat je volgende activiteiten worden!

Veel liefs, Kim

Jessica said...

Hoi Marisa, am delighted to receive your letter a few weeks ago and even more delighted to hear that you are spending 150% on YOURSELF! Enjoy your freedom and will catch up with you as soon as you are back to The NL! Take care!

Cheers
Jessica

Anonymous said...

That fuel gage looks darned scary... but the hike sounds even more dangerous! I guess you get fed danger for breakfast down there. It's worth it for scenery like that, nice pictures!

Roger