Saturday 10 February 2007

Fly like a bird... or a really large sack of flour...

Whooopeeeeeee - or in my case more "AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH".

Did my first Skydive today at the Bay of Islands (back in Paihia after surfing) and got the (embarrassing) DVD to boot! Will be showing in global cinemas soon.

Got up nice and early, collected at the hostel, taken to the airfield, strapped into particularly unflattering suit, given 10 seconds of instruction -- literally "when we drop, put your legs to the right of the wheel, cross your arms, arch your back" -- and then taken up in a mini plane!

Had a nice scenic flight to 10,000 feet before they were close to drop zone and saw a massive cloud. It was 6,000 feet high apparently and the tandem master said "I'm not jumping into that". So, out of solidarity with Juan, I agreed I also was not jumping into THAT. Went back down, very fine landing!

20 minutes wait and I was up again, so to speak. Up to 12,000 feet... then he just kicked open the window on one side of the plane, moved me to the edge, I teetered on the side of the door with legs out into nothingness thinking "rationally, I should be clinging onto anything that's attached to the plane"... but 5 seconds later I was FLYING! What an awesome feeling.... twists to the left, twists to the right, camera in the face and SCREEEEEAAAAM :)

I love the free-falling bit, the parachute-cut-your-personals-with-the-strap-and-numb-your-arm I could happily have done without. Amazing view of the 144 islands... sure I saw every single one of them. Landing was not quite textbook, of course. Not sitting, not standing, DRAGGING because the "wind was wrong". I gathered some nice grass souvenirs from the landing strip in my shoes and my knee was somewhere behind me and underneath the instructor. I can walk, I can jog, I can JUMP for excitement so all good.

Not sure I want to go skydiving again, but I DEFINITELY want to learn to fly! Result, one step closer to PURPOSE for life ongoing. :)

Now hobbling through Auckland again! Wehey - absolutely beats sitting behind a desk!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey maris!! Klink goed!! volgens mij vermaakt je je wel!! Groetjes, Maaike

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous!! sky diving, how cool! hey, put that video in YouTube (but don't you dare put the Roxanne one!) :-)
Cheers,

Alex

Hiromi said...

Hi Marisa! Just got your letter. Splendid idea to take a break and travel :) Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't this be added to your list of completed madnesses from '101 things to do before you die'? Bonus points for eating grass! :)

Roger