Thursday 22 March 2007

Christchurch - my fave so far!

I made it to the last stop - sad because its nearly the end of my New Zealand adventure, but also YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! because... No more Kiwi Experience, no more Pinkelboy, no more sex in the bunk under me (I'm in a female only dorm - hang on, HOPEFULLY no sex in the bunk under me!)


Christchurch is like a Disney version of a city, quaint, pretty, dinky enough to walk around and let's face it... more people than 80% of the places I've been in for the last 2 months! Lakes and mountains are a great combo, but they do say Variety is the spice of life!



Christchurch has a cute old-timer tram (that I got suckered into riding before I realised it covers about 8 blocks and I could walk it faster!), funky architecture, great Botanical Gardens with amazing trees (pity I took the amazing pic underneath and AMERICAN Sequoia tree instead of some native Kiwi breed - Oopsy :P), a beautiful fountain, lots of beautiful flowers and...punting on the Avon river ?!?! Hang on! Maybe I like it because it reminds me of Home *sigh*.



Or maybe it's much simpler than that and I just love the Fudge Cottage at the back of the Arts Center (yes, I went there to see art and stumbled on the Fudge by accident). Completely unplanned, it was like Divine Intervention!


I walked past the shop and had a peek inside (har har har), the lady sprang up and said "are you here for the tour?" I wasn't, but I figured, what the heck, I've got a few hours ahead of me before I go see a show at YES - THE THEATER (trying to mend my uncultured ways with a vengeance! I went to see a one-woman play one evening and the comedy night the next...) Apparently the Fudge Making Tour with its free-tasting-of-our-goodies-until-you-hurl is a well-known tourist attraction in Christchurch! It's only held once a day and it was clearly fate that I should amble by... The flavour of the day (being poured into the molds below) was "Baileys Fudge"... and yes, it tasted GOOOOOOOOD warm, cold, sliced, gooey, rolled, packaged, covered in chocolate... to be honest, no matter what they did to it!

Being the selfless soul that I am , I did try to bring some back for everyone to try, but UNfortunately you're apparently not allowed to bring it into Australia so I had to eat it on the plane :P I had to get rid of the evidence so to speak...

No comments: