Thursday 1 March 2007

I want one! Segways RULE!

OK, I have to calm down. It's not as if the world has changed, sun and moon have switched, world peace has arrived or famines have been conquered... but-oh-my-god-what-an-awesome-amazing-cool-wicked-totally-FANTASTIC-... THING... is a Segway?!


Right, from the beginning. So I decided I'd better do something cultural yesterday...see a bit of Wellington etc etc. Walked about the center a bit, had a bagel, talked to mum for half an hour while I was trying to eat the bagel, walked around some more. They have a tram that goes up the hill, a sightseeing bus (buts it isn't running at the moment), museums, and a harbour and hills and ferries and old buildings and new buildings... ok, now I'm really stretching. Wellington isn't that big.



Saw a movie - An Inconvenient Truth - yes, rest of the world had seen it AGES ago, but I never did. Very impressive, worrisome, especially since I'm here, seeing the glaciers that are melting.

Then I wandered to the information center and found a little leaflet advertising Segway tours (www.bodyelectric.co.nz). Waited in line for 20 minutes to talk to someone, gave up. Went to an internet cafe and booked online. Problem. Since travelling, all sense of time, day of the week and plain old calendar dates just seemed to fade... I have no idea what day of the week it is, what date (my normal watch at home tells me these things). So I just booked the "next available tour" according to the website. Therefore, at 8pm I booked the tour that had gone at 10am that morning. Great system. I realised just as I was falling asleep last night....

This morning I called the information center and they told me to hold. Apparently I was the third person that morning that had called with this kind of problem! Yippeee, there are more blondes in Wellington! :P They couldn't get through so they said they'd call me back. Seeing as it was really early (9am) I thought I'd go back to bed and await the call for the tour at 1:30pm. At 09:50am he call me and says: can you get here for 10am? Its the last tour of the season, despite what the website said, and there's a spot left for you. Sure, can I be somewhere in ten minutes that takes 15 to walk, in my pajamas? Threw on some clothes (so excuse pics), ran downstairs, got in a cab and made it there for 10:06am!


Segways absolutely RULE. Its the best thing since sliced bread. I nearly managed to crash it (hey, had to try or my name isn't Marisa!), but they're so easy to use! By the end of the 2 hours I was doing loops around obstacles backwards and I think I may have invented a new Olympic sport: Segway Ballet, or Synchronised Segway :P



And yes, I did go to the TePapa museum, the most famous museum in all of NZ. I spent a whole 2 hours there, before heading to the museum shop and then a sushi restaurant! :)

No comments: