Saturday 17 March 2007

Doubtful Sound....spooky & magical

For the last 2 days I went on a cruise on Doutbful Sound. Even the rain and fog could not take away from the magic of the scenery - it leant it an almost eerily ethereal quality.

I was on a large motor/sailing yaght with about 80 people - only 3 of us not part of a couple, and under 50 years old (including me!). I met some very nice people on the trip and it was good to be away from the 18-year-old-party-crowd for a change.

Doubtful Sound was similar to Milford Sound only because it has sheer cliffs rising out off the blackest water. Other than that, with the fog hanging low and no other boats or tourists in sight - it was very quiet and magical.

We saw a seal colony, and the fog mixed with occasional rays of sunshine to create a rainbow accross a fiord - one of the few times we actually saw other humans. In the evening, we stopped in a quiet bay and took out single-seater kayaks to explore the fiord more closely (I went away from the group to explore a small river that was pouring into the fiord - I cunningly tried to go around some rocks and ended up getting stuck on a rock I hadn't seen... so I had to "scootch" off it and nearly tipped over... thankfully my kayak-in-the-rapids experience paid off! What's life without a little excitement?!)
It was one of the best experiences so far, beautiful (with a tiny frisson of excitement) and some of the most amazing photos showing the reflecting waters in the early morning.


Ahhhhhhhhhh. I'm definitely a fan of the majestic mountains + tranquil water combo! :) Now if only they could make the experience a bit warmer... Did I mention I love, Love, LOVE my great wind-water-fog-spray-everything-proof coat?! Best purchase so far!


No comments: