Wednesday 7 March 2007

Christened by PinkelBoy...

I debated whether to tell this tale or not. But I think it definitely qualifies as a FIRST time experience, and maybe it can serve as a warning to bottom-bunkers everywhere.



Photo to follow of Pinkelboy...



Meet Rupert, 19, from Bishops-Stortford in the UK. Hobbies include travelling, breaking into hotelrooms, evading burly security guards, sleeping in other people's beds, and drinking himself into oblivion. Unfortunately, one of his defining characteristics is a lack of bladder control... He is thus dubbed "Pinkel Boy", from the German "Pinkeln" (to wee).



Last night was VERY eventful. After the heli flight over Franz Joseph glacier, a highlight, I decided to have a quiet dinner with my Swiss roomie and went to bed relatively early. Enter the english adolescents with too much alcohol in their systems approx 01:30am. Wrestling match commences, the 2 boys try to scoot under my bottom bunk and Mother Marisa has to gently inform them to act their age, shut up, and let the rest sleep. Adolescent Nr1 asks if I will wake him in the morning so he doesn't miss his hike. I tell him: "I'll do you a deal. I'll wake you if you shut up now." Problem one solved.



PinkelBoy exits room to go further antagonise the security guard. I go for a toilet break and am met by said security guard asking if there have been problems. I gamely play along and state all is well and now quiet, no further problems or action required on his part.



And so to bed again.



Enter Pinkelboy around 2:40am, fleeing from the security guard who is about to evict him if he can catch him. Pinkelboy is not supposed to be in the room, he is a guest in the room accross the hall. But he begs to stay in the (as yet empty) top bunk above mine. He swears that Adolescent nr2 (who should be in the top bunk) "got lucky and won't be back". I acquiesce and tell him he can stay if he shuts up. (Hey, worked before, why deviate from a successful strategy). I'm told I'm "a good sport" and PinkelBoy goes to bed to commence snoring loudly.



Just goes to show, no good deed goes unpunished! Unfortunately, the snoring was the least of my worries.



Picture this: You're asleep. Happily dreaming, suddenly the dream turns to rain, when you awake and think "why is my arm wet, why is the bed raining, I'm sure I'm awake." Put 2 and 2 together to get = PinkelBoy has wet his bed to such an extent that the mattress is soaked and is now dripping onto you. Words cannot describe.... I got up, shouted for him to get up, and launched into a suppressed tirade (ever conscious of other guests next door - should have smacked him silly). Then went to shower and spent the rest of the night reading in the kitchen as security was nowhere to be found and I didn't much care for the bed I had been in.



To cap it all off, when the bus left at 07:30am in the morning, we hadn't gone 20 minutes before it broke down. This is a different bus from the one that broke down before. Starting to wonder if its me... Anyway, waited in the bus on the side of the road for 3 hours before the driver finally admits he cannot fix it himself and calls a mechanic. Won't bore anyone with the details, but suffice it to say: missed Lake Matheson (bought a postcard), rained all day, uncomfortable sleep on the bus, and was not best amused.



But hey, bad days happen so you can truly appreciate the excellent ones. Positive attitude reigns and things can only get better!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!