Monday 19 March 2007

Red Bull Action Fliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite !

I flew a stuntplane today! Well, flew IN a stuntplane today as a passenger while this absolutely HOT pilot showed me what a little JHBCSRF 12483 (forgot the name and model of the plane, whatev) can do. Absolutely awesome!

I nearly had a heart-attack when in the midst of all the loop-de-loops and twirls, snap-rolls, knife-edge flying, and -2 to +4 G forces (actually, zero G is the worst feeling, especially flying upside down floating in a mini plane)... lots of tricks that rivalled any rollercoaster I've ever been on...the pilot accidentally-on-purpose stalled the thing in mid air as we were shooting vertically upwards! So we started falling back to earth backwards, until the plane tilted and nose-dived with me in the front seat. I was apparently saying a litany of "ooooh fuck, fuck fuck fuck fuck" (excuse my language, but had to keep it in the account for authenticity)that the pilot thought was hilarious. I do vaguely recall swearing slightly. :P


He followed that by a maneuver called the Lomcevak (basically translates as "headache") - where the plane just bounces end over end in the sky...feels like it is completely out of control, but apparently it's not. Riiight. Hey, they didn't give me a parachute when I got in, so I was relying on this just being normal procedure! Besides, let's face it, with one tandem jump under my belt I'd hardly be qualified to somehow extricate myself from a plane in mid-air and deploy a parachute...even if I then knew how to use the thing to get safely back down to the ground as opposed to eating grass as I did the last/first time!

But, all's well, that ends well! I landed safely back down on the ground. Apparently, because its a stuntplane they don't have flaps to slow it down, so you essentially dive-bomb at the runway and then apply brakes if and when the wheels skid onto tramac. Quite possibly the second scariest maneuver of the whole experience!
I didn't have to use the sick bag, didn't feel dizzy all day of black out as I'd been warned to expect... just really really addicted to flying now. I need, I want, I MUST LEARN HOW TO FLY. Just straight for now though - kinda think knowing which way is up is a prerequisite for doing aerobatics!


(http://www.fightercombat.com/vid_03Sep04.htm
"What's Happening? The Lomcevak - (pronounced LOHM-sheh-vock). A Czechoslovakian word translated as "Berserk Headache", it is actually a colloquialism meaning "Drunken Bum." The Lomcevak, also called the lump-lump, appears to be a totally out-of-control maneuver in which the plane tumbles nose over tail, wingtip over wingtip, across the sky."
http://rafaero.free.fr/voltige4-eng.html (for video of Lomcevak at the bottom)

No comments: